Friday, October 3, 2014

Interview of author Jason Cantrell

I have met some awesome as well as talented people on Twitter and one of those creative people is fellow author Jason Cantrell.  Jason has written a short story called Radiance (Arcana Revived) as well as Manifestation: Arcana Revived Volume One.  Both of these books are available on Amazon.  His imagination takes you on a wonderful and intense journey.   I am excited to introduce to all of you Jason Cantrell.


1. Many authors develop an interest in writing at a young age. What first sparked you interest in writing?

When I was in fifth grade, our teacher gave my class a creative writing assignment. We were given the first page of a haunted house-style horror story, which set the scene and introduced elements that we could play off of in our writing. Each student then had to continue the story from there, coming up with their own twists and turns. Most of the other students wrote about a page. I immersed myself in the project and wrote a gripping 7-page story with action, excitement, secret passages, and a twist ending. I had so much fun that I asked the teacher for another assignment.
After that, I spent my teenage years writing short stories based on my Dungeons & Dragons adventures. Eventually this led to me taking creative writing classes in college. Today, I have a bachelor's degree in Writing Arts from Rowan University, and I'll be earning my Master's in Writing in the spring of 2015.

2. What difficulties and challenges (if any)  have you faced as a writer?
Probably my biggest challenge is overcoming my issues with self-esteem and doubt. Like most writers I know, I tend to be plagued by worries about whether my work will ever be successful. On the other hand, there's also times that I'm a raging narcissist who is convinced that I've written solid gold. So, it swings to both extremes.

3. Would you please tell us about the premise of
​Radiance​
​ and Manifestation​
? How did you come up with the idea?
Manifestation introduces a world where magic has not existed for centuries. The story begins with the rebirth of magic, but with unpredictable consequences. The people manifesting these arcane powers have no idea where they came from, how to control them, or how to protect against them. Gabby Palladino, the main protagonist, finds herself trapped in a city that suffers an unexplained catastrophe, and she has to struggle to survive while trying to figure out why these supernatural events are occurring and why she's been caught in the middle.
Radiance is an independent short story set in the same world, taking place just after the climax of Manifestation. It provides a more up-close-and-personal look at one of the people who has been altered by these magical forces. Maria Vasquez finds herself transformed when she is touched by mystical light and she manifests an arcane power of her own.
I developed the idea for this series after seeing a number of post-apocalyptic fantasy stories that introduce a world years or centuries after a supernatural change. What all of these stories usually have in common is that the changes to the world and the rebirth of magical abilities are always part of the history and back story. I wanted to write a series that shows the initial changes that come to the world and guides the reader through the entire transformation.

4. How many books do you have planned for the
​Manifestation: Arcana Revived ​
series?
The series will consist of a number of sub-series, as well as short stories, poems, and a novella. Manifestation is the first book of Series One, which will be a six-volume series that shows the rebirth of magic, the conflicts that erupt as a result of these arcane powers, and the changes that take place in the world. The second series will then focus on the world after the change as people adapt to the new world and the supernatural forces that have altered it. Each future series after that will focus on a new, self-contained story arc that explores different aspects of the setting.
The short stories, starting with Radiance, are being released one at a time as eBooks. Eventually they will be compiled into a short story collection that will be available in paperback and eBook. A poetry collection, with poems inspired by the lives of the characters and the struggles they go through, will also be released in the future. At least one independent novella is planned with its own individual plot, separate from the main story arcs but still fitting within the world of the Arcana Revived series.

5. Do you have a favorite character (of your own) that tugs at your heart and why?
It's hard to pick favorites, but the one who "tugs at my heart" most of all is Gabby Palladino. She's a gentle soul, a poet, and a girl who bears an impossible burden. Throughout the series she grows and changes, starting off as a frightened high school student caught in circumstances beyond her control or understanding, and eventually becoming something much more. But that's a story for the sequels.

6.  Many authors share their ideas with friends, family and other authors. With whom do you share your ideas?
I'll talk to anyone and everyone about my ideas, but my fellow grad students in Rowan University's Master's in Writing program are the ones I go to most often. Many of them have read various versions of my works-in-progress, especially since many of them were written as part of my class assignments.

7.  What are you currently working on?
I'm in the middle of revising Volume Two, Contamination, which will be released in 2015. I'm also prepping to begin Volume Six, currently untitled, which will be written for the 2014 NaNoWriMo.

8. When do you enjoy doing when you are not writing?
Reading, video games, Star Trek, Doctor Who, webcomics, and a variety of other aspects of geek culture. I'm also a big fan of steampunk in all of its forms.

9. Would you ever branch out a write about a different genre?
I frequently write in other genres for either school assignments or freelance ghostwriting jobs. I've dabbled in romance, mystery, sci fi, and contemporary fiction. Though if I were ever to write a serious project of my own, such as a contemporary novel with no supernatural elements, I'd still be able to fit it in with the Arcana Revived world by making it a prequel. For example, three of the short stories I mentioned that will be included in the collection are "origin stories" that show the backgrounds of some of the major characters, before the rebirth of magic. Those stories deal with psychology, family drama, and romance, each addressed using very different genre conventions than the rest of the urban fantasy series.

10. How do you deal with procrastination?
I put it off until I can't help it anymore, then I procrastinate as much as I want.

11. Who or what inspired you to write th
​ese stories​
?
The stories themselves were mostly inspired by the two main characters, Gabby Palladino and Tock Zipporah. I had originally written both of them in separate, independent short stories on collaborative writing sites. I felt like they had a lot more potential for growth and development than they ever achieved in those stories, so I decided to put them together in a novel and see what happened.

12. What are you currently reading?
At the moment, New Life and New Civilizations, Exploring Star Trek Comics. It's a collection of analytical essays that explore the often-ignored world of Star Trek comic books, newspaper comics, and even coloring books, all of which are fascinating contributions to the Star Trek franchise. The book contains essays from a variety of authors with experience with the Star Trek franchise, and it was edited by Joseph F. Berenato.

Manifestation is available in paperback on CreateSpace and Amazon. You can also get eBook versions of both Manifestation and Radiance on Amazon Kindle. You can also checkout ArcanaRevived.com for updates on the latest book releases.
You can find Jason on his blog, Facebook, Goodreads, or on Twitter @CantrellJason.

No comments:

Post a Comment